‘Emergent’ (Adjective.) Definition: In the process of coming into being (i.e. for early career artists)
We use the term “early career” in an inclusive way, relating it to experience, not age, and this may be your first commission.
3 emerging Disabled musicians will be commissioned to produce new short pieces of music/sound and will be provided with mentoring, technical support and a showcase opportunity.
Each Emergent Musician will:
- Over a 3 month period create a new piece of work
- Be mentored by a DM Artist in Residence (DM AiR for short)/or an Ascendant Musician
- Take part in creative music-making workshops
- Have access to Technical support
- Perform at a DM Live Showcase event
Robyn Steward 2018/19 Emergent Commissionee:
“Working with Drake has been great I’ve progressed musically and from a technology standpoint”
This programme began as ‘Emergent: A Music Legacy’ in 2017. Learn more about previous commissionees via the links below:
- Watch and listen to the Emergent musician’s work on our Commissions Showcase page
- Year 1: Ben Lunn, Louis Walkden and Luke Lundin
- Year 2 Emergent event: Dike Okoh, Robyn Steward and Ewan Mackay
- Year 3: Robbie Ashworth, Remi Fox-Novak and The Dyr Sister
Previous Commissionee: Lucy Hale
Daryl Beeton, Artistic Programme Lead, commented:
“This is a great step forward for both Drake Music and the Disabled musicians we will work with though this programme. It will break down disabling barriers in the music industry.
Most importantly, thanks to Help Musicians UK, Emergent will provide new creative and professional avenues for new and emerging Disabled musicians to shape their own music career.”