We offer different ways of accrediting young people’s progress in music, including Arts Award, Sounds of Intent and Compose and Perform – an accredited qualification, developed by our education team.
Compose and Perform developed by our education team, offers an accessible route for young disabled people would like progress further with music and achieve an accredited qualification.
It is a customised unregulated course which is certified by NCFE, a leading national awarding body. Customised Qualifications are unregulated qualifications designed by organisations to close a gap in provision (like an accessible music qualification) and accredited by NCFE.
“Compose & Perform is the first course that I have ever found that is specifically designed with special needs students in mind.”
Jocelyn Watkins (Classic FM SEN Music Teacher of the Year 2013)
Compose & Perform Qualification
It is fully inclusive, enabling disabled and non-disabled students to work together and offers content and support for teachers to deliver and assess the qualification.
Since the course began we have had over 100 young people achieve an accredited outcome.
About the course
Compose and Perform offers a chance for schools to work with leading specialists in inclusive music education field to widen the musical skills and horizons of both pupils and teachers.
This course covers the key skills needed for young people to engage with music, in a flexible format tailored to fit the unique needs ofeach individual school and learners.
There are four core units. They can be taken individually, or all together as a KS4 course.
The Compose And Perform course can also help you to meet the National Curriculum for music and Drake Music will support teachers through the process.
There is no requirement for the units to be completed in a specific timeframe or order, or for all units to be taken which allows flexibility in how the course is delivered.
Your school can adapt the course to suit the specific needs of your pupils and to offer progression for mixed groups at different levels.
What does it offer?
This course is beneficial for both learners and teachers.
For young disabled musicians Compose And Perform offers:
- An Entry Level 3, Level 1 or Level 2 accredited qualification
- Flexible inclusive learning options to suit different abilities
- Unique breadth and depth of musical learning
- Fun lessons covering performance, composition, chance music and film soundtracks
For schools & teachers it offers:
- A day of specialist teacher training
- Ongoing one-to-one support for teachers to provide fully accessible music education
- Lesson content and part of a KS3/4 level music curriculum
- Clear criteria for planning and delivering music-making sessions
- Specialist advice on music technology use
- Expert guidance on assessment, evidence collection and accreditation
- An NCFE accredited music course
Can my school register?
We are currently redeveloping our course materials. If you would like to get involved with Compose & Perform please contact us and we can discuss your needs.
If you would like to discuss your requirements with us please email email@example.com or call our main office on 020 7739 5444.