Get ready for New Currents!
The DM Collective warmly invite you to join us for a jam-packed day premiering five fresh Disabled musicians and celebrating the new music from our Ascendant and Emergent commissions!
On 25th March 2021 we will be:
- Premiering new at an inclusive Listening Party featuring: Miss Jacqui, Signkid, Elle Chante, R.Dyer and Alebdo. [Ticket Link]
- Getting into the big issues with a Digital Conversation about working with under-represented groups in the music industry featuring PRS Foundation, Drake Music & Saffron. [Ticket Link]
- Hosting the After Party with live performances from our DM Collective musicians!
Read on for full details.
New tracks from Emergent artists
Supported by HMUK and PRS Foundation, and in partnership with Saffron, Drake Music’s Emergent Commissions are awarded to early-career Disabled musicians as a way to develop and extend their creative practice.
The Emergent Commission winners will be presenting their new music responding to the theme of ‘Risk’ in their own unique styles. We have singer and musical self-expressionist Elle Chante, musician and performance artist, R.Dyer, and neo-soul guitarist, Alebdo.
These three tracks will be premiered with visuals created by London-based VJ and video artist, MouseOnTheTelly. Mouse is a Disabled artist who makes promotional videos for musicians, visual artists, dancers, and for theatre. When it is not lockdown, they also play live visuals at music events.
New Tracks from Ascendant artists
The Ascendant Commissions are aimed at mid-career artists, enabling them to take risks and have time and space to develop new work, with support from the DM team.
This year Miss Jacqui and Signkid have been collaborating on a new track bringing together their production skills and lyrical styles to create a fierce track with an unapologetic point of view.
The Panel Discussion will feature guests from the music industry and then we will kick back with a live gig on Facebook featuring our Emergent artists.
New Currents: Schedule
- Date: Thursday 25th March
- Location: Online
- Access: The events will have BSL interpretation and the Discussion and After Party will have live captions. They will be Relaxed Performances, so that everyone can access and enjoy them. Please note: if Eventbrite is inaccessible to you please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to book tickets.
2:30 – 4pm – Listening Party
A collective listening experience to celebrate the joy of new music and the talent of Disabled artists featuring Miss Jacqui, Signkid, Elle Chante, Alebdo and R.Dyer. Don’t miss it.
4:30 – 5.30pm – Digital Discussion – How do we break the bad cycle?
Alongside the celebration of new music there will be a music industry panel looking at the challenges, best practice and creative opportunities when working with groups who are persistently under-represented in the music industry.
Our Panellists will be:
- Daryl Beeton, Artistic Lead at Drake Music sharing our experiences of building relationships with Disabled artists.
- Glade Marie from Saffron discussing their work to address the gender imbalance in the music industry.
- Yaw Owusu, Executive Manager, Playmaker Group & Senior Manager, Power Up for PRS Foundation, talking about how the Power Up programme is supporting Black music creators and industry professionals.
7.00 – 8pm – After Party
A digital version of the after party… we’ll be congregating on Facebook for a live gig featuring our 3 Emergent artists: R.Dyer, Elle Chante and Alebdo.
No tickets needed, just head over to the Drake Music Facebook page at 7pm.